WHY WE DO
- 200,000 families are without clean water in Guatemala. Other Central American countries report similar numbers.
- Most Maya income is from subsistence farm work; sharecroppers. Average family income is $5.50 daily.
- Increased income helps get kids into school and keep families together and reduce dangerous migrations to the USA for farm labor.
- The Maya culture may be the world’s last best chance to preserve indigenous culture. Despite 500 years of colonial rule, a 36 year civil war, the Maya culture faces its greatest challenge today; adapting in the 21st century.
- Maya Pedal for more than 20 years provides solutions – proven, effective and simple.