The amazing bicycle machines of Guatemala
Made in Maya Pedal Guatemala
What are bicimáquinas?
- They are machines driven with pedal force, being an intermediate technology. Tool that serves to support the family economy, obtaining a higher capacity than the manual.
- Each bicimáquina is handcrafted in our workshop using used bicycles, concrete, wood, and metal. We have designed several models that are functional and economical.
- It is a pleasure to share our designs with other organizations that work with appropriate technology. Please, contact us with your orders.
- Bicycle machines, use the strength of leg power which is 5 times greater than that of the upper body and 20 times faster than hand-work.
- Bicycle machines are made from bicycle parts, wood and cement. Therefore, the technology is widely accessible, easy to use and repair, and are environmentally responsible.
- A large income gap exists between advanced industrial societies and rural areas of developing countries. Pedal powered machines are an appropriate technology to help bridge the gap.
- Bicycles machines are providing alternatives to traditional share crop work; that is, self-employment, or micro-enterprise.